One “excursion” or place to visit while in Mexico is the ancient city of Tulum
Tulum is a rare city built by the Mayans because it is one of the few walled cities.
- The city of Tulum was previously known as Zama, meaning City of Dawn.
- Its current name means fence or trench in Mayan.
- Being both on a sea and land route, it had major historical importance as a centre of trading.
- The city flourished between the 13th and the 15th centuries, fading only 70 years after the Spanish army started conquering today’s Mexico.
- Although there is no specific data about its population at its height, estimates put it between 1,000 and 1,600.
Each Mayan city had a specific purpose, and Tulum was no exception. It was a seaport, trading mainly in turquoise and jade. As well as being the only Mayan city built on a coast, Tulum was one of the few protected by a wall!